Monday, April 30, 2012

Kalayaan

"Kalayaan" is the Tagalog word for "freedom".

It is also the name of the freshman dorm in the university I attended. I guess it is symbolic of the new freedom we experience of living away from our parents for the first time (for most of us, at least). When I look back on all my years, I always remember my year of living in Kalayaan as one of the BEST. 


It was difficult to keep in touch with the friends I made there, but once every few years, all of us who are still in Manila manage to meet for dinner somewhere. 

The elements in this layout are from the Tender Moments kit by Lilas Digiscrap and this layout was submitted to Scrappity-Doo-Dah's Scrappin to the Music challenge for April.

1 comment:

Diane Writes said...

I appreciate this post because I got to learn more about you. I never left home ever since I existed :) I was always with my family and I have admired people, especially women, who managed to survive school and work, while being away from the family. I believe you learned a lot from living in the dormitory and this contributed to your independence and I guess being a mom to Andrea too. Have a great week Janelle! Enjoy the super short Tuesday holiday.